sabato 14 gennaio 2012

sorry e afraid


AFRAID
1. Filled with fear: afraid of dogs; afraid to die; afraid for his life.
2. Having feelings of aversion or unwillingness in regard to something: not afraid of hard work; afraid to show emotion.
3. Filled with regret or concern. Used especially to soften an unpleasant statement: 
I'm afraid you are in the wrong place


SORRY
spiacente, dispiaciuto; desolato;
1. I’m ~ mi spiace, mi rincresce;
I’m ~ I’m late mi scuso per il ritardo;
to be ~ for doing, to do scusarsi o essere spiacente di avere fatto, di fare;
to be ~ about scusarsi di [behaviour, mistake];
~ about that! scusa!
to say ~ chiedere scusa, scusarsi

I’m ~ to hear of o that mi dispiace sentire che;
I’m very ~ about your brother sono addolorato per tuo fratello;
to feel ~ for oneself compiangersi

(regretful) we are ~ to inform you that siamo spiacenti di informarla che;
no-one will be ~ to see him go! nessuno sentirà la sua mancanza!
and, I’m ~ to say e, mi spiace dirlo;
do it now or you’ll be ~! fallo adesso o te ne pentirai!

(apologizing) scusa
(failing to hear, understand) ~? scusa? Prego?
(interrupting) ~, time is running out scusate o spiacente, ma il tempo sta per scadere;
we have two, ~, three options abbiamo due, cosa dico, tre scelte;
~, may I just say that scusate, volevo soltanto dire che.

1 commento: