giovedì 27 giugno 2013

Conditional - Integrazione tabella tempi verbali

Conditional
(Integrazione alla Tabella dei Tempi Verbali)

Questo è un argomento per i miei allievi che tra qualche mese inizieranno il Quarto Livello.
Trattandosi di un corso di livello avanzato proverò a dare anche la spiegazione in inglese.

There are four types of conditional. The type 0, 1, 2 and 3.
A condition is something that has to be fulfilled before something else can happen. It means "provided that".

Type 0:
When we use type 0 conditional: it is about something which is always true.

Form: PRESENT SIMPLE + PRESENT SIMPLE

Exemple:
  • Demand falls if prices rise.
  • I feel tired and nervous if I don't get enough sleep.

You can use also another tense, like the Past Simple:
  • I felt embarassed if I made a mistake in class.


Type 1:
When we use type 1 conditional: it is about things which will possibly happen and considers their real consequences for the future. It talks about events that are highly probable. We use type 1 conditional to describe what will or won't happen if we think a future event is probable.

Basic form: IF + PRESENT SIMPLE + WILL FUTURE

Exemple:
  • If I get the job, I will go abroad.
    (condition to be satisfied likely outcome)

You can also use the word "unless"
  • You won't pass the exam unless you study hard.


Type 2:
When we use type 2 conditional: It talks about imaginary situations in the -if clause and speculates about their imaginary consequences in the main clause.

Basic form: IF + PAST SIMPLE + WOULD

Exemples:
  • If I were you/ in your position, I would accept their offer.
  • If I had longer legs, I would be able to run faster
  • If you didn't stay up so late every evening, you wouldn't feel so sleepy in the morning.


Type 3:
When we use type 3 conditional: it assumes something purely imaginary in the -if clause and considers the imagined consequences in the main clause. In this respect it is like type 2, however type 3 conditional refers to consequences which did not, or could nor ever happen because they refer to something that didn't happen in the past. They are "hypotetical conditions".

Basic form: IF + PAST PERFECT TENSE + WOULD HAVE/SHOULD HAVE

Exemple:
  • If I had lived in the Stone Age, I would have been a hunter.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento